Thursday, May 24, 2012

The End of the Year

Who anticipates the end of the school year more; the teachers or the students? I can tell you that as a student way back when (i guess just 15 years ago), that I certainly anticipated the summer more than the teachers did? Or did I? The end of the school year has come from three different spectrums for me. First as a student, then as a teacher, and now as a Principal. So here is my answer to the question.

As a student I really anticipated the end of the school year. As a teacher I really really anticipated the end of the school year. Finally, as a Principal I really really really anticipate the end of the school year :). It sounds pretty negative, but I must tell you that when August 1st rolls around - I will be really really really anticipating the start of the school year as well. So it does go both ways. Everyone needs a break. I find that sometimes the most rewarding thing to do is...nothing.

As much as I anticipate the students leaving for summer break, I anticipate the time I will get to spend with my own kids. I feel like a guilty father sometimes. I get home from school, and I'm extremely exhausted and all I want to do is sit and relax on the couch, and my poor kids just want me to entertain them. The summer gives me the opportunity to live life to the fullest with my children and I'm looking forward to each and every day I can spend with them.

So no matter who anticipates the end of the school year more - I believe that the break is good for everyone. I wish everybody a safe and happy summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment