Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Random Act

“Your child will follow your example, not your advice.”
-Unknown

I saw this quote and I immediately thought of a funny story.  Two Sundays ago, as I was sitting on the sidelines watching my seven year old play flag football, I began to notice that the apple didn’t fall too far from the tree.  You see, Tayten is the type of kid that thinks he knows it all, but he fails to pay attention to what is being told to him.   He got a short two minute break and came over to me for a drink of PowerAde, and I said to him.  “When you are playing receiver, do not run so deep that the quarterback can’t throw you the ball.” 

The very next play he is in as wide receiver and you could almost guess what he does.  He runs 25 yards down field, doesn’t get a pass and gets frustrated.  I quickly reminded his mother (the tree) what she has created. J

Fast forward to this morning as we are both standing in front of the school greeting students and parents as they come in.  He has seen me open the door, say good morning, and greet people for a few months now.   We have two sets of doors that one must walk through in the morning.  I notice that he has now taken it upon himself to open the second set of doors, say good morning, and greet people as they walk in.

Two totally different circumstances, but both relevant to the quote above.  I laughed when I read the quote because it’s the absolute truth.  My child will follow my actions more than he will follow my words.

What a great reminder for us all.  I’ve said it before, but if we think better and do better, the world in which we live will ultimately be better.  In my position as Superintendent, people tend to ask me how it feels to be a boss.  The question frustrates me because I couldn’t be further from being a boss.  I’m a leader.  You are a leader.  We are all leaders.  Great leaders talk less and listen more.  They encourage and empower others.  Great leaders lead by example.

What example are you setting?  Whether you are a student, parent, teacher, business leader, or human for that matter, please reflect on your example.  I would like to start a simple challenge and hope that it can spread all over the world.  I’m a Social Media guy - so this will be the vehicle.  I absolutely love the power it has to connect individuals and deliver professional development opportunities at our finger tips.

Here is the challenge.
  1. If you don’t have a Twitter or Facebook account get one.
  2. Every day for the next 5 days do one random act of kindness.  It can be anything from complimenting somebody to opening a door, etc.  Just one random act.
  3. Share what you did by writing the hash tag #SCRandomAct at the end of your post.
  4. No need to share names, just share the act.
  5. I’ve started it for you and my random act can be found by looking up the hashtag on Twitter.

Please don’t let this die.  Could you imagine a world in which each and every one of us makes it a point to carry out one random act of kindness each day for the next five days? Ten days? Lifetime?  When you help others you help yourself.  It’s fun and simple and we can start making a difference.  Are you with me?  Share this with others and inspire them to do the same.  One random act for the next five days – Go.


No comments:

Post a Comment